Journey to the Unknown Route Map


View Brian's Journey to the Unknown in a larger map

Friday, February 12, 2010

Next Stop Aurangabad, India

Tomorrow I set out on a 6:10 am train to Aurangabad, India to visit the Ajanta and Ellora Caves.  This will be my first taste of India's train system.  The trip is supposed to take around 7 hours to go the 226 miles.  When  booking my ticket I decided to book a 2nd class air conditioned chair car ticket.  There are up to 8 different classes of travel on Indian trains, although not all are offered on every train, and it can be quite confusing as to which is the best value for the money.  I figured it was best to have a guaranteed seat and not be squished in a hot train compartment for seven plus hours.  Although the ticket cost was $7 instead of $3 for the 3rd class unreserved ticket.  I think that $4 will be money well spent especially if there are any disruptions or delays.

I have enjoyed my time in Mumbai, although it can be very overwhelming at times, especially at night.  However, it was not as bad as I was expecting.  It was not nearly as dirty as I thought it would be and the people have been very friendly.  Of course they all have something to sell, but they are not too pushy and very friendly in their dealings.   However, I am excited to leave the noise of the city behind and see what the rest of India has to offer.

I sat and watch about a hundred different cricket games going on at the same time.  I still don't quite understand the rules and I'm not sure how no one got hit in the head by the ball with all the different games going on a once.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment